The Department of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology was established to provide consultations to patients suffering from arthritis and systemic autoimmune disorders. The faculty is experienced with expertise in the field. Dr.Dhanita Khanna, Consultant Immunologist and Rheumatologist, Sahara Hospital, has done her DM in Clinical Immunology from Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow. She was working as Consultant in the Department of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology in KLES Hospital and Medical Research Centre and associated Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum, Karnataka before joining Sahara hospital. She has nearly a decade of experience in treatment of patients with these diseases.
A wide variety of disorders are addressed which include
Besides the dedicated clinicians, good diagnostic backup services are available which includes a specialised autoantibody laboratory and high-end diagnostic modalities.
- Rheumatoid arthritis which is an inflammatory disease that primarily affects the joints and surrounding tissues, but can also affect other organ systems.
- Osteoarthritis which is a degenerative disease of joints and occurs especially in the weight bearing joints of the body like hip, knee and spine.
- Other arthritidies like crystal arthropathies (gout) etc.
- Backache caused by inflammatory disorders.
- Chronic painful conditions involving not the joints but the soft tissues like fibromyalgia, polymyalgia, tendonitis or bursitis.
- Systemic autoimmune diseases like SLE, myositis, vasculitis etc . which have multiorgan involvement.
Management of patients with these disorders is often purely medical with pain killers/anti-inflammatory medicines, immunosuppressives and immunomodulators. Injections in joints or around ligaments and tendons are also offered using steroids and local anaesthetic agents. If required surgical expertise is available for simple corrective surgeries to complex surgeries like joint replacements. A dedicated team of physiotherapists and occupational therapists are also available for consultations .
We aim to provide an integrated and holistic care to patients with rheumatological disorders for improved outcome and quality of life.